7.16.2014

NYC Recap || Smart Girls Conference

Attending the first annual Smart Girls Group Conference was easily one of the best choices I've made in my life. It pushed me out of comfort zone, helped me network and meet new people, and filled me with inspiration and ideas for the future. It makes me so happy when my ideas are actualized, and this was definitely goal-fulfilment in the best possible way.

SGGC #1

Blogging/writing/digital media is typically just part of my life, and because I started my blog while I was still a student it has always taken a bit of a backseat to my school work. However, at the Smart Girls Group Conference I finally got to focus on being 'Lanie the aspiring digital media journalist' rather than 'Lanie the student'- and it was awesome. Being able to throw myself into something I'm so passionate about was such a blessing and I'm so grateful that I had this opportunity to grow and learn even more about myself and my future career.

SGGC #5

Being around like-minded young women who are overflowing with passion and purpose was a breath of fresh-air. In college you're surrounded by people with such diverse interests and you rarely meet someone who enjoys/wants to pursue the exact same path as your own. While diversity is a great, it's also hard to keep plugging along at your dreams without having someone who relates to you on a career level.

This is why I'm so blessed to have met Emily through blogging- we just totally get each other in ways non-bloggers can't (like why we need to take a million pictures to get the perfect Instagram shot). We're definite kindred spirits and really had the best time at the conference and in the city together. #blogsoulsistasforlife

SGGC #2

As young women I believe it's our responsibility to support each other and continuously bolster the accomplishments and passions of those around us (both IRL and online). Having a community of people who know why you love to do what you do and care about helping you achieve your goals is so necessary, and this is exactly what the Smart Girls Group Conference was.

Emily and I were definitely some of the oldest people at the conference and it was amazing to talk to girls in high school who have already accomplished so much and were filled with so much direction and drive. At their age I was barely cognizant of what I wanted to do in the future, much less taking direct steps in order to guarantee that I would achieve it! It just goes to show that you can inspire anyone and take steps toward your career goals at any age.

SGGC #3

The women who spoke at the conference were phenomenal and had such interesting, intelligent things to share. Being in the presence of strong, self-assured women never ceases to renew my passions and sharpen my desire to accomplish anything I set my mind to. I left with an abundance of ideas from each different woman and their advice and insights were enormously helpful.

The cherry on top of an already wonderful conference was getting to meet two of my favorite bloggers. Even though blogging is a digital medium, when you read someone's writing for years upon years you come to feel like you know them. After seeing them online so frequently, chatting with Carly and Mackenzie face to face was a bit surreal; they were both so kind and down to earth that it made me respect them/their blogs even more!

SGGC #4

If you aren't a member of the Smart Girls Group I really encourage you to go check it out. The founder, Emily Raleigh, is a total sweetheart and the entire SGG team is a group of brilliant and uplifting women. I had one of the best weeks of my life thanks to the conference and I can't wait to put everything I learned into action. xoxo

-Lanie W.

2 comments:

  1. You are legit amazing. Love this post and love you! Can't wait to see you at Chuck!!

    Emily
    www.cooperthames.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you customize your blog? I'm new to this!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!