7.26.2012

Preppy must have with a modern twist

Loafers- The ultimate timeless shoe. There are not many things that survive the march of time, especially in the fashion world, but these simple yet elegant shoes are definitely one of those "everyone should have a pair" items.

Loafers have been on my radar for a while now. I keep putting them in my various online shopping baskets, then inevitably taking them out again when I feel like I just can't pull them off. I adore how they look on models (see photo below!) but I've always felt that I couldn't rock this preppy look without coming off as trying too hard. However, I've really begun to question that in the past few months.


J. Crew- you never fail to look perfectly effortless yet preppy and chic. Can I please be her?!
Lately when I shop I keep asking myself, "Is this an item I am going to want to wear 5 or 10 years from now?" The answer tends to be no but I know that loafers, like pearls, oxford shirts and blazers, will be in style endlessly. Which, essentially, is the cornerstone of the preppy style- timelessly elegant clothes that look even better with age and wear.




Grace Kelly in loafers circa 1955- just as chic then as they are now.

During my latest shopping endeavors I have noticed these shoes being featured more and more frequently. From the ultimate classic leather Bass Wejuns to this seasons unexpected take with a slimmer shape and pops of neon by on-trend stores like J. Crew and Target, it's hard to go wrong with this easy shoe.

Loafers Fall 2012
So many options!
Loafers Fall 2012 by fashionista2010 featuring a stacked heel

Personally I plan to stick to a neutral color for my first pair but the bright colors and tassels are just so unexpected and fun! Have y'all jumped on the loafer band wagon yet? Which pair do you think I should get? 

Let me know what you think about this revamped classic!

Lanie W.


2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love those from Target! But for you, stick to the classics. Totally your style. I think you can definitely pull them off! Can't wait to hear what you choose!

    Amy @ herecomesthebelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've decided on neutral and classic for sure! :) & thank you so much! You're too sweet! I plan on looking in Bluffton & Charleston this coming weekend during Tax Free! I'll definitely do a "what I bought" post afterwards! :) Love your Kate Spade China btw! She can do no wrong! <3

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers!